Thursday, January 19, 2012

Week 2: Sour Cream Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Whipped White Chocolate Lemon Ganache

“The measuring and mixing always smoothed out her thinking processes - nothing was as calming as creaming butter - and when the kitchen was warm from the oven overheating and the smell of baking chocolate, she took final stock of where she'd been and where she was going. Everything was fine.”
-JenniferCruise, Maybe This Time


After a few days of mulling through pages of recipes in The Cake Book and even polling my friend on Facebook, I chose Sour Cream Lemon Poppy Seed Cake for this week's baking expedition. As I make these first cake choices I'm considering two things: Level of Baking Expertise and Level of Financial Investment. The Sour Cream Lemon Poppy Seed cake fit the criteria - it seemed relatively simple to make and the ingredients were within my budget. The only major purchase necessary was a 13x9 cake pan.

                                             Gathering...
This was the first occasion in my 33 years of life that I have sought poppy seed at the grocery store. I assumed it would be in bulk size - like arrowroot flour or something similar. My assumption was wrong. Poppy seed is in the spice secton, sold in spice size.
               I had to buy three jars to get the 3/4 cup measurement. That's a lot of "spice"!




Prepping...
Combine the dry ingredients, combine the wet ingredients. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. That's what cake making is all about! I'm starting to catch on. I still do not own a heavy duty electric mixer (which every recipe in The Cake Book requires) but my little hand held mixer is doing a decent job so far.

There's something about lemon zest.
I love that burst of fresh citrus scent that mingles in the air.
Aroma therpay in the kitchen!


 Pretty Poppy!


After a quick taste test from my cute assistant ...

Into the oven it goes!



Frosting and Finishing
There were no frosting suggestions for the Sour Cream Lemon Poppy Seed Cake, it simply goes with the Whipped White Chocolate Lemon Ganache. This frosting is so easy to make and absolutely amazing! Cream, lemon zest and a little sugar. There's no going wrong with this combo!


Sour Cream Lemon Poppy Seed Cake With Whipped White Chocolate Lemon Ganache

This caked is delightful! It's a light lemon flavor - not too sweet. The poppy seeds give it that fun little crunch. The frosting perfected it - a sweet cream with kissed with a little lemon. Simply an elegant, delicious cake! 

 A great edition of Cake by the Week. Looking forward to my next adventure!
-Jodi

Notes:
This cake tasted the best the first day.

No comments: